Friday, December 23, 2011

THE ONE WITH THE EXHAUSTION

Friday, December 23, 2011
As I write this blog, I'm just home from a few days in Lorne, finding myself completely exhausted and sleepy. I think 2011 has finally caught up with me, and having finished work for the year early this week, my little body shut down and refused to do anything more than nap randomly and eat whatever I fancied. Who knew that I was in such need of some r and r, but r and r is what I had.

Ryan is going home to Ireland on Christmas day for a week, followed by a couple more weeks in the US for work, so bless his little soul, he organised a few nights away for us before Christmas and his dreaded departure. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm excited for him to go back to Ireland and spend time with his family and best friends, but the whole trip is almost four weeks and that just seems such a long time to be away from each other. Pathetic really when I think about Bianca and the long stretches of time she is away from Tyson, months and months of him being in the Middle East with very little contact. Such a strong woman that Bianca.

So Lorne was for me what rehab is for Lindsay Lohan. Lots of rest, lots of time to catch up on a good Marian Keyes novel, lots of tasty food, lots of walking on the beach, lots of napping whenever I felt like it. And it was heaven, pure heaven. I've never been one to have an afternoon nap, yet I found myself sleeping for hours on end throughout the days. I woke up one day, had breakfast, hopped back in bed and promptly fell asleep for a few more hours only to wake up at lunch time for a delicious cheeseburger. What a life eh?!

Something we did realise on this trip of endless sleeping was that when we're at home, we don't often just do nothing. If we have no plans, we'll make some. We'll go shopping, catch up with friends, see a movie, clean out the house, do a stack of washing. We never sit still. Why is it that we don't ever take the time to take care of ourselves? This little trip away has made me think that perhaps afternoon naps and no plans for life are the way forward. Forget about filling my time with fancy commitments. Fluff my pillow and say goodnight, this lady has learnt how to sleep at the drop of a hat and she isn't afraid to do it.

Perfect timing really with it being Christmas and all. Time for the Christmasy traditions and time with family, but then there is the extra week or so of holidays which will be spent laying on the beach with some trashy mags that help me nod off in the sun.

Wishing you and your families a lovely, happy Christmas full of lots of laughter and happy memories.

Oh, and just one more thing. When next in Lorne, you MUST MUST MUST have dinner at Babalu. Ahhhhmazing.

Love to you all,

No comments:

Post a Comment