Tuesday, December 13, 2011

THE ONE WITH WEDDING TRADITIONS

Tuesday, December 13, 2011
What do we think of wedding traditions? The bouquet toss, the first dance, the something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue?

Jenny reminds me of myself. She is getting married in Wales and doing all of the planning from Australia. So, the two of us having been chatting this past week about little wedding traditions, and you know what, I’m torn. There are some wedding traditions that I love, and some that are just, not so much. And I know that everyone is different and while I may love, love, love something, the next bride may not and that’s okay. No judgment here.

One that I really love is the grooms cake. I love the idea of having a fun manly cake for Ryan with some kind of odd non-wedding theme, but do people still do this? I’ve not seen a grooms cake at any of the weddings I’ve been to but it does seem to happen in the movies. And you know whatever happens in the movies is true to life. My love affair with the movie Steel Magnolias doesn’t help my curiosity either - who remembers the bleedin’ armadillo cake?

Jenny also introduced me to cake toppers. She has a gorgeous little cake topper that she ordered online and sent me the link, so I started scrolling through them and came across this one and it got me thinking. Perhaps I will organise a grooms cake. Why not?! That way, Ryan can enjoy a lovely little cake topper like this (ha ha) and it’s manly as there is a sports ball on it.


Another tradition I quite like is the bride and groom spending the night before apart and not seeing each other until the bride walks down the aisle. Very romantic. Although, it’s quite popular these days for the bride and groom to have some photos together before the ceremony as a way of squeezing so much into one day, but I’m not so keen on this. I love the idea of walking down the aisle seeing each other for the first time that day, the bride in her dress all glammed up, the groom with a tear in his eye as she approaches.

I stumbled across some really funny old wedding traditions today and I just cannot have them. I would desperately want to eat the cake rather than mush it up in my pocket or under pillows (but they do make me chuckle):
  • The chief bridesmaid should keep a piece of cake in her pocket for the duration of the couple's honeymoon, if she hopes to marry soon.
  • Single female guests should take home a piece of wedding cake and place it under the pillow to dream of the man they will marry.
One thing is for sure though, and that is I’m not keen on the garter toss. Again, no judgment for those brides who like this tradition, each to their own. I’ve just seen so many hideous displays of garter behavior that is beyond words. Grooms with their heads up the brides dress for far too long a time frame, pulling out props from under the brides dress like handcuffs and rubber chickens. WTF? No. That’s not for me. There will be no garter toss, no garter worn.

And so, as I think about all of the wonderful (and not so wonderful) traditions, I’m excited by one in particular, and that is the Save the Date card. Ours are ordered and being printed as we speak and I could not be happier with them. I love them and it’s taking me all of my might not sharing a picture of them with you today, but I don’t want to ruin the surprise for my friends and family who will be receiving theirs in January.

My fellow engaged friends at work and I will continue to share all of our little bits and pieces of wedding information with each other and in the New Year, Jenny will be a guest blogger for Girl About Love as she finalises the finer details for her wedding in Wales which is very fast approaching. Now this is one SUPER DOOPER organised bride.

Love to you all,

No comments:

Post a Comment