Saturday, April 14, 2012

THE ONE WITH MUSIC + MEMORIES

Saturday, April 14, 2012
Anyone who knows me knows that I love music. I love everything about it. I enjoy nothing more than singing at the top of my lungs and dancing like I’m in a club when really I’m just in my lounge room. I love going to concerts. I download new songs for my iPod every week. The 2am karaoke escapades are where you see the real me. And it ain’t pretty (isn’t that right Mel B…? So many laughs, so many laughs). And doesn’t everyone love memories that come when you hear certain songs? So many memories pop up for me when I hear music. Some I’d really rather forget too. You know, like the 5am last song before the lights come on memories. Why are those ones still ever so fresh in the mind? Cringe.

I’ve always had the most amazing musical plan mapped out in my mind for our wedding day. I thought that I was Miss Thang with my musical prowess and the way I went from ceremony to cocktail hour to dinner music to dancing to farewell so magically. That was until I discovered a few things:

1. We’re not allowed to play recorded music during our church ceremony. All music must be played by organ. Not ideal as I had a whole instrumental number lined up by way of The Verve. Disappointing.
2. The cost of the French jazz trio I fell in love with after a late night Saturday session Googling said band is almost as much as the entire wedding itself.
3. And I can’t even talk about how much of a shock I received when researching bands for the reception…costly. Ever so costly.

So, I’m going to rethink my wedding music until I get it absolutely spot on because music makes me happy and I want our wedding guests to have the most amazing night. To the coolest soundtrack that I can compose.  I’m going to weigh up every single musical option, cost and song so I get it just right because music is going to make the reception a truly awesome night.

Turns out, there is one thing I’m sure of though and that is I think I finally have my ‘something borrowed’. You see, I love the tradition of something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue. I’ve just never been able to come up with my something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue. That was until I was going over my musical styling’s and remembered that one of the songs I had imagined being played while Ryan and I sign our marriage certificate was actually the song that my aunty Felicity walked down the aisle to. So, while this ‘something borrowed’ may not be a physical object, I think my ‘something borrowed’ is going to be her wedding entrance song ‘Dream a Little Dream of Me’.

Now…just for fun, here are some of my more fun musical memories. I hope some of these will make you laugh, sing your heart out or bust a move.

Let’s Get Married (Jagged Edge) – reminds me of Catherine Saad (as she was way back then) and I dancing at Bourbon Street…worst nightclub on earth.

Milkshake (Kelis) – randomly reminds me of an old employer who gave me the Kelis CD for my birthday and we would play it in the office and shake what our mammas gave us.

Dilemma (Nelly ft. Kelly Rowland) – Shanelle, I won’t go into all the details out of sheer embarrassment but this reminds me of you!

We Are Family (Sister Sledge) – The Bywaters family on the old SingStar. Cheeseball fun.  This video is HILARIOUS.

Do You Feel Me (Anthony Hamilton) – every time I hear this song, I think of Ryan.  

Stronger (Kanye West) –triggers my curiosity for Kanye.

I’ll Make Love To You (Boyz II Men) – Row A at Boyz II Men concert a mere five years ago with Catherine as we relived our youth. They still have it BTW.

Never Forget (Take That) – the obsession, the stake outs, the chasing, the tears, the VHS concerts, the teenage crush. Louise, they were our One Direction.

Rise & Fall (Craig David ft Sting) – my sister and I would duet this song together ALL. THE. TIME when it was released and still to this day I call her and play this song down the phone singing along. I was Craig, she was Sting.

Bonnie & Clyde (Beyonce ft Jay Z) – makes me feel love

Love to you all,

No comments:

Post a Comment