Saturday, April 21, 2012

THE ONE WITH SUPER WOMEN

Saturday, April 21, 2012
I have a few really close friends. My besties. And it makes me really proud when I think about each and every one of them and how they’re all such strong women.
My Mum comes from a large family with seven kids, five of which are girls. You’d think you’d get a pretty mixed bag with five girls, however being raised by my Nanna meant that they all have a bit of sass about them, they’re pretty loud, talkative and fun, and they have a whole lot of backbone. My Nanna was a force to be reckoned with and I adored her so much. She was sometimes ridiculous and was just non-stop with the chat. I see a lot of her in me. I love all of my aunties for so many different reasons but mostly because we have fun together. Sure, there can be some hairy moments (you know how it can be) however they always have your back, no matter what. I have always felt like I was the other sister, not the niece. Possibly because some of us are close in age and we kind of grew up together, possibly because I always referred to my Grampa as my substitute Dad, or possibly because we are a close knit group when it comes down to it. They all have their strengths but as a whole, look out! They could kill you in a game of trivial pursuit, out sing you in a sing star battle and drink you under the table.
So it really comes as no surprise that I have somehow managed to surround myself with a strong group of friends over the years. I always refer to one of my long time besties, Bianca, as the strongest person I know. She is a super woman. Seriously.
Bianca and I went to high school together way back when and while we attended the same school, it wasn’t really until Year 11 that we became friends. There was a brief one week long friendship during Year 8 camp when we shared a room with eight other girls  (and I admired Bianca’s sunflower shoe string strap summer dress and her sandshoes that went with it), but that friendship was short lived. Once we were back at school again following camp, we never really spoke. That was until we hit our second last year of high school. As soon as we became friends, we were as thick as thieves.
Following our graduation from high school, it wasn’t long before Bianca and I moved out of home and into a rental together. Good lord…there are so many stories that I could share with you but honestly, I can’t bring myself to type them out. They are mortifying.  We battled along together with little cash and lots of partying but then there were the times when we’d just put our PJs on, hire DVDs (actually, I think they were videos back then) and eat ice-cream together for whole weekends. Bianca and I could laugh for hours with tears running down our cheeks and we never took ourselves very seriously. All we did was laugh.
We’ve been through a lot together in the last 15 years and I’ve watched as she has grown into the most amazing woman and mother. I’ve seen her meet her fiancé and make the most gorgeous little babies. Miss Super Woman has always been strong. Whatever crap gets thrown her way; she takes it on and sorts it out. Her life in Darwin just amazes me completely. Not only is Bianca a fabulous mum to her gorgeous three children, she also works full time, studies and is engaged to a man who works in the armed forces so more often than not, he is away from home with very little contact for months on end. And yet, with all of this going on, Bianca is completely selfless. Honestly, she is 100% selfless. She could be having the worst day or the worst week but you’d never hear her complain about it. She is always there for all of her friends no matter what, she is so upbeat and happy all the time and she just radiates goodness. Pure gooey goodness.
There are often times when I’m tired and exhausted, and I’m juggling a few things at once (you know, going to and from work, being tired, trying to exercise…pathetic how busy I think I am) and my mind always wanders to Bianca and I ask myself how she does it. Seriously. Three kids. A job. Studying. A fiancé. A sister. A friend. Super woman!

I love that Bianca is my friend. She seriously is one of a kind. Bless.
Love to you all,

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to see that you are spreading the joy all over Australia. Love you too B. Karyn

Danielle Stahl said...

Oh i love this... I had tears running down my cheeks! I agree with each and every word. Bianca is amazing!!! xx

Natalie said...

Karyn - isn't B just lovely.

Danielle - I know how much B adores you as well. And...your work gives me tears constantly. I adored the video you posted of your photo shoot with little Ava. Absolutely beautiful. Hope Canberra is treating you well.

Post a Comment